The Museum display tells about important historical events of Jelgava and its region from ancient times to the present day. The main value of the Museum is the art collection of the famous Latvian painting old master Ģederts Eliass (1887-1975). The museum offers interactive exhibitions, educational programs and tours for different age groups.
The museum building, known under its historic name Academia Petrina offers an opportunity to climb the tower and enjoy panorama view of the surroundings from a small balcony. The tower as one of the architectural dominants of Jelgava offers the possibility to see not only the contemporary buildings of the city from the bird’s perspective, but also experience a unique “time travel”, viewing informational panorama posters on the past time glory of Jelgava. Historical information, presented by the museum specialists inside the tower, gives an insight to the past, where you can see through stories and photos the buildings and streets that once were on each direction of the sky and that are no longer there today.
Note that the tower will not be available for pre-school children; children from 6 to 12 years may attend the tower only accompanied by parents.
- Tower only - 1,50 EUR;
- Tower and exhibition - 2,50 EUR;
- Tower and permanent exposition - 3,00 EUR;
- Tower, exhibition and permanent exposition - 4,00 EUR;
- For students (Tower, exhibition, exposition) – 1,00 EUR.
New, virtual expositions with 3D glasses, which allow seeing Jelgava in various historical eras through virtual reality glasses, have been added to the museum offer. Individual visitor will have the opportunity to become part of the story and to participate, while the groups will watch stories in video form on screen:
- Wars and soldiers in Jelgava through the times will allow you to travel through times and witness escape of Semigallians from the brothers of Livonian Order brothers or take a walk around the market square of Jelgava in the early 20th century;
- Zemgale national costume and its wearing traditions will allow you to participate in Semigallian wedding and weave a bridal skirt.
- Jelgava - My City * (pre-school and younger classes).
The lesson strengthens the understanding of own country, city, its symbols, nature and raises the sense of belonging to the hometown.
- Learning to learn * (calligraphy, for class 5 and older pupils, also suitable for adults, up to 10 people)
Participants can acquire calligraphic skills under the supervision of the museum artist.
- We - Restorers * (pre-school and younger classes).
Objectives of the lesson - raising the awareness of the ethnic grounds trough museum pedagogy. During the lesson pupils get acquainted with the exhibits and gain understanding of the restorers' works. The second part of the lesson - creative work includes making copies of archaeological jewelry.
- Elections in Jelgava at the beginning of the 20th century * (class 7 and older pupils and adults).
The lesson provides more information on the municipal elections that took place at the beginning of the 20th century, and the participants themselves can play the elections of 1901, trying out different roles.
* Price of each lesson - 1,50 EUR per person, 1,00 EUR school-age children
* Lessons to be arranged in advance.
In-depth excursions containing interactive elements suitable for different age groups:
- Life and work of Ģederts Eliass
- Jelgava - the capital of Duchy of Courland and Semigallia
- Academia Petrina - the first university in the territory of Latvia
May 1 - September 30
Monday – close
Tuesday – Sunday 11:00 - 18:00
October 1 - April 30
Monday – close
Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 – 17:00
- Entrance for adults 3,00 EUR, for school children 0,50 EUR, 50% discount for students
- Exhibition hall for adults 1,50 EUR
- Guide services – group of 20 persons 10,00 EUR (Latvian), 15,00 EUR (foreign language)